If a home renovation or house addition is on your list of 2018 resolutions, now is a better time than ever to consider integrating some technology into your home. Not only does smart home technology make your life easier, but it can also save you money on energy bills and give you added security and peace of mind. If you’re looking for some modern home design ideas, below are a few smart home technologies to consider.
Smart Home Technology: Home Safety
- Smart home locks are deadbolts that allow you to either unlock your door with a traditional key, by using a passcode, or through your smartphone. These locks are helpful if you have children that need to get in frequently and you’re concerned about them losing their house key. Smart locks can also have burglar protection, automatic relocking, and wireless alerts to security systems in case of a break-in.
- Smart garage door openers give you the ability to open or close your garage door from anywhere, giving you peace of mind if you forgot to close it on your way out of town or opening it for someone to get in if you’re not home.
- Water leak detectors can be essential in preventing costly water damage from a slow leak or a burst pipe. Leak detectors will instantly alert you if a problem occurs, which can help you minimize damage or take action, even if you’re out of town.
Smart Home Technology: Energy Savings
- Smart thermostats not only give you easier control over your home’s heating and cooling, but with their wireless technology, you can adjust while you’re not at home. This could come in handy if you’re coming back from out of town sooner than expected and want to adjust the temperature before getting home. These thermostats can even learn patterns over time and self-adjust, ultimately taking one more thing off your to-do list while saving you money on energy bills.
- If you’re thinking about doing a kitchen remodel, consider checking out a smart refrigerator. Their built-in touch screen lets your family stay in touch by leaving notes, accessing the internet or family calendar, and more. Their internal sensors also sense and can adjust to temperature fluctuations, ensuring your food stays cool.
If you have questions about integrating smart home technology into your home’s interior design, contact the Twin Cities remodeling experts at James Barton Design-Build. Our home remodeling contractors will work with you to find the best solutions to make your home beautiful, functional, and energy-efficient to meet the needs of your family. Contact the James Barton Design-Build team today to get started!