The homeowners turned to JBDB to transform their suburban home into a comfortable and welcoming space that their family could enjoy together and while entertaining guests. The James Barton Design-Build team carried a consistent design theme throughout the kitchen, powder room, and mudroom that effortlessly blended rustic design elements with modern touches the homeowner's dreamed of. The result is an inviting home that this family will enjoy together for years to come.
- The kitchen’s design focused on texturally-interesting elements that emphasized subtle details of the rustic and modern elements.
- White enameled upper cabinets and marble-veined countertops were matched with grey lower cabinets to create a clean yet neutral feel in the kitchen.
- To enhance the spacious and open feel, the JBDB team opted not to bring the cabinets to the ceiling. Instead, a ceramic herringbone backsplash adds a subtle textural detail to this space as it was installed from the counter to ceiling.
- Rustic elements were incorporated throughout including a rustic hood and farmhouse sink. In addition, an existing structural beam was transformed to give the appearance of reclaimed barn wood.
- A beverage center was strategically positioned as a place where friends and family could gather while still allowing for traffic to easily flow through the kitchen. This space also serves as a coffee nook with additional refrigerator space for day-to-day use.
- Two open lighting fixtures were chosen to hang above the kitchen island for their ease of cleaning and modern look.
- Custom elements were installed that complimented the family’s love of cooking including a pullout cabinet for cutting board storage and a prep space positioned conveniently above the garbage.
- The mudroom’s floor plan was reformatted to create a space that was more functional for the family of four. This included removing an under-used closet and adding more accessible storage options.
- Wired drawer pullouts beneath the bench provide a hidden storage and drying space for wet mittens and hats during the winter.
- A custom cabinet and countertop (with built-in device charging units in the drawers) was installed to maximize storage and functionality of the available space.
- The feel of the mudroom blends seamlessly with the adjoining kitchen as the same neutral paint colors and quartz countertop were used. The wooden bench was also stained to match the kitchen’s hood.
- Porcelain tile flooring provides a durable solution for this high-traffic area.
Featured Project Photo Gallery
Click on a photo to view in full-screen slideshow.
“Emily, Ryan and Troy were great to work with though our entire project! Emily captured our design tastes and preferences within a couple of meetings and transformed our home into a livable luxury for our active family. Ryan patiently answered all of our questions throughout the renovation process. The project commenced and finished on the dates established by Troy, adjusting the schedule where necessary to accommodate all of the variables involved with an assignment like ours! We could not be happier with our end product and cannot wait to work with this team again on our next home improvement project! ”
– Tarrah & Dan, Homeowners