If a home renovation or house addition is on your list of 2022 resolutions, now is a better time than ever to consider integrating some technology into your home. Not only can smart home technology make your life easier, it can also save you money on energy bills and give you added security and peace of mind.
The Benefits of Smart Home Technology
Thoughtfully adding in a few key smart appliances can elevate your home to a whole new level. Here are a few of the top benefits of smart home technology:
- Convenience. Being able to automate certain functions in your home allows your day-to-day life to be a bit easier for everyone. You can even integrate your smart appliances so that they’re working together!
- Security. Having a second set of eyes on your home means you have the power to protect your home.
- Increase your home’s value. Adding in these assets now could pay off big time when you’re looking to sell down the road.
- Add accessibility. Incorporating hands-free devices helps if you, or a family member, has mobility limitations. Voice commands make difficult tasks, such as turning on a bedside lamp, easier.Looking for some modern home design ideas? Below are a few smart home technologies you should consider.
Smart Security Systems
By adding in a smart security system you can keep tabs on who is coming and going.
- With smart surveillance cameras you can get alerts informing you the kids arrived home safely or check in on the pets when you’re away.
- Smart home locks are deadbolts that allow you to either unlock your door with a traditional key, by using a passcode, or through your smartphone. This is helpful if you have children who need to get in and you’re concerned about them losing their house key. Smart locks can also have burglar protection, automatic relocking, and wireless alerts to security systems in case of a break-in.
- Smart garage door openers give you the ability to open or close your garage door from anywhere using your phone. Not only can you schedule your garage door to close at the same time every night, you’ll have peace of mind if you forgot to close it on your way to work or need to open it for someone else.
- Water leak detectors can be essential in preventing costly water damage from a slow leak or a burst pipe. Leak detectors instantly alert you if a problem occurs, which can minimize damage, even if you’re out of town.
“This can be an invaluable way to prevent – or act quickly on – extensive damage to your home,” said John Miller, V.P of Sales and Operations at JBDB.
Heating & Cooling
You can utilize smart home technology to take control over the temperatures in your home.
- Smart thermostats not only give you easier control over your home’s heating and cooling, but with their wireless technology, you can adjust temperature from anywhere in the world.
“Smart thermostats are a win-win,” said Kayleigh Queoff, one of JBDB’s designers. “Not only can they reduce your energy bill, but they also ensure your home stays comfortable year-round.”
These thermostats can even learn patterns over time and self-adjust, ultimately crossing one more thing off your to-do list.
- If you’re thinking about doing a kitchen remodel, consider checking out a smart refrigerator. Their built-in touch screen lets your family stay in touch by leaving notes, accessing the family calendar, and more. Their internal sensors also sense and can adjust to temperature fluctuations, ensuring your food stays cool.
These small adjustments can make a big difference to your quality of life.
- Smart lighting allows you to control light directly from your smartphone. Schedule your lights to turn on and off at specific times of the day, minimizing wasted electricity. This is especially useful if you’re going on vacation and want to cycle your lights to make it appear people are still home. Another useful facet: you can use this feature to shine calming, sleep-promoting light at the end of the day or brighter tones in the morning to help you wake up.
- Smart speakers mean you can stream music throughout your home. Hands-free options are ideal for the kitchen, playroom, or workspace, where your hands can get messy. You can even use a smart hub to read aloud a recipe as you’re cooking!
- Smart hubs give you the ability to connect your various smart appliances. Using a hub you can ensure your different assets are working with one another, such as timing smart lighting and thermostat to turn down at the same time every evening. Our experts can help create a compatible system that aligns with your family’s needs.
Elevate Your Home With a Smart Remodel and Design
If you have questions about integrating smart home technology into your home’s interior design, reach out to the Twin Cities remodeling experts at James Barton Design-Build. Our home remodeling contractors will work with you to find the best solutions to make your home beautiful, functional, and energy-efficient to meet the needs of your family.
Ready for an upgrade? Contact the James Barton Design-Build team today to get started!