Remodeling your kitchen takes planning and passion. Here are tips from the James Barton Design-Build team, known for creating stunning Twin Cities kitchens, to make the most of your upcoming project.
When undertaking a kitchen remodel, here are a few common kitchen remodel mistakes that people can sometimes make:
1. Neglecting Workflow: Pay attention to the kitchen’s layout and workflow. The design should facilitate smooth movement between cooking, cleaning, and storage areas.
2. Overlooking Storage Needs: Inadequate storage can lead to a cluttered, disorganized kitchen. Consider your storage needs with custom cabinets, shelving, drawers, a pantry, and other solutions to keep the kitchen functional.
3. Not Anticipating How You Enjoy Cooking: How do you plan to use your new kitchen? Do you like to entertain? Would you enjoy making intricate meals in a chef’s kitchen? Make a list of your most-used appliances early on in the design process to tailor the room to your routine.
4. Making Aisles Too Small: Speaking of crowded, plan enough space—minimum width of 36 inches, but ideally, 42-48 inches—between islands, walls, cabinets, and appliances so you can easily move through it.
“When we put together kitchen remodel designs, we always account for distance,” said Kayleigh Queoff, one of JBDB’s designers. “Having enough room to get things done directly impacts how comfortable your kitchen is.”
5. Inadequate or Uneven Lighting:Proper lighting is crucial throughout a kitchen design. Include a mix of ambient, task, and accent lighting to create a well-lit and inviting space. Lighting is another good place to show off your style preferences.
6. Choosing Style Over Function: While aesthetics are important, keep functionality at the forefront of your mind. The kitchen layout and design should meet your practical needs and make daily tasks easier. That said, style makes the space feel like yours. A professional design-build company can help you decide where your tastes lie—whether you want a classic, rustic, modern, or monochromatic kitchen design.
“Some people wonder if they need to come to their initial consultation with their design preferences figured out,” said Sydney Monson, another one of the JBDB designers, “You can, but you certainly don’t have to. Our team will help you discover what styles you like and build your design from there.”
7. Forgetting The Kitchen is a Social Hub: People love to hang out in the kitchen during a social gathering. Create room to sit and congregate that doesn’t feel crowded or overwhelming if you’re still cooking.
8. Ignoring Energy Efficiency: Consider incorporating energy-efficient appliances and lighting. This can help reduce long-term energy costs.
9. Skipping Ventilation: A sound ventilation system helps remove cooking odors, smoke, and excess heat.
10. DIY Overload: While DIY projects can be rewarding, most aspects of a kitchen remodel are best left to professionals. Attempting complex tasks without the necessary expertise can result in costly mistakes.
11. Not Accounting for Future Resale: While personalizing your kitchen, consider how choices might impact the resale value of your home. You may want to avoid overly trendy designs that may not appeal to a broader audience.
12. Not Planning for Downtime: The remodeling process will change your daily routine. Plan alternative cooking and dining arrangements during construction to minimize inconvenience. Here are a few tips to live at home during the process.
13. Picking Design Elements on a Whim: Choose pieces you’ll love instead of turning exclusively to trends. Take your time comparing options in person at our client-exclusive remodeling showroom, where you can see them up close and personal.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you can enhance the final result of your kitchen remodeling project.
Get the Kitchen You Want (Without the Headaches)
When you work with a professional design and build company, you don’t have to worry about making common kitchen remodel mistakes. A Twin Cities company like James Barton Design-Build handles the complexities for you, offering expertise and guidance along the way so you don’t end up with a result you regret. Check out this Eagan Kitchen Remodel for inspiration. Then, it’s your turn! Fill out the contact form below to begin.
"*" indicates required fields